Nails are an essential part of our body. They protect the fingertips and help us perform many tasks with ease. Keeping our nails healthy and well-maintained is crucial for overall hand health. However, there are several myths surrounding nail care that have been circulating for a long time.
One such myth is that nails need to breathe. In this article, we'll explore whether nails really need to breathe and what you can do to keep them healthy.
What is Nail Breathing?
Nail breathing refers to the idea that nails require access to air and oxygen to stay healthy. According to this myth, covering your nails with nail polish, acrylic nails, or any other nail enhancement can prevent oxygen from reaching them, leading to weak, brittle nails. However, this is not entirely true.
Our nails are made up of a protein called keratin, which is a dead material. As a result, nails do not require oxygen or air to "breathe" like our skin or lungs.
Why is the "Nail Breathing" Myth Popular?
The "nail breathing" myth is popular because it is easy to believe. We know that our skin and hair need oxygen to stay healthy, so it is easy to assume that our nails do as well. However, the truth is that our nails receive all the oxygen and nutrients they need from our bloodstream, which circulates throughout our body. The idea that nails need to breathe is simply a myth that has been perpetuated over time.
What Can Affect Nail Health?
While nails don't require oxygen to stay healthy, several factors can affect their health. Here are some things to keep in mind:
1. Nutrition: Eating a balanced diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals can promote healthy nail growth.
2. Hydration: Drinking plenty of water can help keep your nails hydrated and prevent them from becoming brittle.
3. Trauma: Trauma to the nails, such as hitting them against hard surfaces or biting them, can damage them and cause them to become weak.
4. Chemical Exposure: Exposure to harsh chemicals, such as cleaning products or nail polish remover, can also damage your nails.
5. Infections: Infections such as nail fungus can affect the health of your nails.
What Can You Do To Keep Your Nails Healthy?
To keep your nails healthy, here are some tips to follow:
1. Keep your nails clean and dry.
2. Trim your nails regularly and file them in one direction.
3. Avoid biting your nails or using them as tools.
4. Use gloves when working with harsh chemicals or doing manual labor.
5. Apply a protective coat of clear nail polish to help prevent damage.
In conclusion, nails do not need to breathe. This is a myth that has been perpetuated over time. While oxygen is not required for nail health, there are several other factors that can affect their health, such as nutrition, hydration, trauma, chemical exposure, and infections. By following the tips listed above, you can keep your nails healthy and looking great.